When to Go
The weather in Japan varies according to which part of the country you happen to be in so only general rules apply when it comes to the best times to go. The best time to go varies for any person anyway and if you need some help in deciding which season to travel, visit our general page on when to go.
High Season: April and May, August
- Expect large crowds around Golden Week in May, O-Bon in August, and New Year.
- Prices rise at these times for accommodation and transport.
Shoulder Season: June and July and September to December
- Expect rain in June and July.
- September to December is autumn and is usually cool and dry.
Low Season: January to March
- Winter is cool and can be cold in parts of Japan.
- It can snow in mountainous areas.