When to Go
Depending on whether you are going to be in northern, southern, or central Vietnam, there is no recommended time to visit as such. The weather varies dramatically in different areas at different times of year and, it’s best to choose where you want to go first and then work backwards from there. If you can use help deciding which season to travel in, check out our section on when to go.
High Season: July and August
- Prices increase and often double or even triple.
- The southwest monsoon appears from April to September and is wet and usually warm.
- Expect temperatures everywhere but the north to be very hot.
Shoulder Season: December to March
- During shoulder season it will be cold in the north.
- The south and central part of the country are usually warm and dry.
- Around the Tet festival prices rise and there is a huge amount of domestic travel.
Low Season: April-June and September-November
- This is often said to be the best time to visit the south of the country.
- The northern monsoon can hit the central and northern part of Vietnam.
- Expect it to be quite cold in the north in from October onwards.